Monday, September 8, 2008

Aware

I have grown to LOVE walking. (I seriously never imagined that I would say that). I have my trusty iPod, my 2 inch barrier of bug spray, and I'm gone. It's like my therapy now. It's my time to think, to pray, to just enjoy the view. Tonight I didn't get to walk until later than normal, and a storm was passing by. The wind was whipping. The clouds were traveling across the sky quickly. It was nice. I try and choose different playlists according to my moods. I started off with the random pick mode and began my walk with The Allman Brothers "Midnight Rider." For the record, I stinking love that song. (Kevin...are you reading this? GREAT SONG!) I was singing along, loving it. The next song that came up randomly was Don Henley's "Sunset Grill." I love that one as well, I just didn't want to hear it tonight. Maybe it was the weather, but I wasn't in the mood for my usual walking tunes. I searched my playlists and found my Praise and Worship songs. The first one that came up was Shane and Shane's version of "Before the Throne of God Above." LOVE IT! I enjoyed it, then rolled around until I found what I was looking for. By the way, I didn't know what I was looking for, I just felt that I'd know when I heard it. AND I DID. I came across "Aware" by Salvador. HOW PERFECT for me today. I've been so busy STRESSING OUT about every aspect of school that I lost perspective. Leave it to God to speak to me through my iPod. Some of you might now understand what I'm about to say, but most of you will. (if you have any questions, email me, I'd be glad to talk to you about it) Even though I am a teacher, my primary reason for being there isn't to teach. I'm there because it's the mission field that God chose for me. He knew exactly where I would be on September 8, 2008. He knew that I would PROMISE my husband that I would leave the school at 4:00, but that I really wouldn't get to leave until 5:05. He knew that I would be so worn out, so stretched from the CORE reading program, writing formative assessments, SP ED paperwork, etc that I would be questioning my career choice. He knew it all. But He put me there for a reason. I don't exactly know the reason. I may never know it. But this great song made me realize this: God is right there with me through it ALL. He's IN the CORE reading program. (Work a miracle, Jesus!) He's in the formative assessments. He's in the SP ED paperwork. It's up to ME to slow down or to be aware enough to see Him. I am always aware that God is right smack in the middle of a blessing (my children, my family, all the good things in my life). But I must become more aware of Him in the "not so good" things as well. Because HE IS THERE TOO! I am posting the lyrics to this great song. Most of you probably know it. I hope that it will mean something to someone reading this Pulitzer Prize worthy blog. :) And by the way...tonight's post is dedicated to my fellow teacher pal, Jamey Benton (visit her blog from my favorites - A Girl Becoming). She is an amazing, Godly woman. Her devotion to The Kingdom is inspiring. At today's meeting, I glanced over and saw her looking almost as overwhelmed/stressed as I felt. Jamey...this one is for you. By the way, Mom, or someone who has more technological skills than I...how do I post the YouTube video to this song?

Aware - by Salvador
Even in the little things that never seem to big to me

In the things I thought didn't matter much at all
As simple as my daily prayer
To the strength I need to get out of bed
When I fly or when I am bound to fall
Oh it is You in me

That I fail to see

Make me aware, make me see
That everything I am is not all about me
So Take my world and turn it around
So that the obvious can finally be found
Make me aware, make me aware .

When my life is hanging from a thread
And I think about the things You said
And in these moments seems so far away
Help me see the guarantees
That first brought me to believe
So I can make it through another day
Oh it‘s You in me

That helps me breathe.

Make me aware, make me see
That everything I am is not all about me.
So Take my world and turn it around
So that the obvious can finally be found
Make me aware.


I have been missing so much

Not recognizing Your touch
Or acknowledging that You’re the reason I’m even here
I have been missing so much
Not recognizing Your touch
Make me aware...

Make me aware, make me aware
Help me see That everything I am

Is not all about me .
Take my world and turn it around
So that the obvious can finally be found.
Make me aware, make me aware

8 comments:

Sue said...

Please start writing your book now! I had never heard the song, "Aware", but had to go to You Tube and listen to it. It's powerful....says so much. I think between your post and Kristen's I have had my sermons today (that I needed). I love you!

Stephanie said...

I know what you mean about songs speaking to you. My iPod has been used in the same manner. LOL

On YouTube, you can 'embed' a video so copy that HTML code and paste it when you are doing your post in the HTML tab (you have your regular box for typing then a tab for edit HTML, use that one) and paste the embedded code at the bottom of your post and see if that will work!

aims said...

Hi Amy! You're such a blessing, sweetie! I love you to pieces!

I know and LOVE that song, too! I've always said that Special Education is first and foremost a calling from Heaven.

Thank goodness Steffi can tell you how to embed the video ... I'm not techi enough to know how to do that sort of thing with blogger. I'll try to follow her instructions when/if I start my blog again.

I hope you have a blessed week!

Mia

Nadia said...

me 'loves' this post. :)
God is so faithful to us during good times, not so good times and (as i attested in a recent blog) the times when we are doing everything within our power to prove ourselves faithless and unworthy of His faithfulness.

i love the iPod. i could not walk/run work out without it. if you do not have the "Best of Passion (so far)" CD set let me know and I will burn you a copy. it is awesome. it's filled with David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman - copy and paste this link to get a preview. it will definitely pick up your pace in your walk (literally and figuratively). :) love u!

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=7342887&style=music&frm=frooglemusic

Tricia said...

Good reflection in the every day life of a teacher. I am glad you have found a way to get relief from stressful situations. My God is an awesome God, He reigns from Heaven and Earth. Love you, You make me miss that mission field.

Taz + Belly said...

I'm terrible. You post a comment everyday and I never remember. I can't post from work and Ella is a full time job... forgive me?

Anyway, I loved this post. I love this song and now I've been humming it all day long.

p.s. I read "The Air I Breathe" from cover to cover on my lunch break today. You're going to love this book. KF

Tricia said...

How could I resist having Lizzie, Monroe, Mathew and Dakota one more time? Do you remember when we met to select students for classes in 3rd grade? Well, pay back time!

Jamey Lynne said...

Amazing! I want you to know that I was tearing up as I identified with all the stress over the CORE program (tomorrow is my first official day - vocabulary, small groups, and actual intervention... ready or not, here we come!) and everything else. And then I got to the end of the post and couldn't believe you gave me a shout out. My love language is words of affirmation, and you are a true blessing! :)