Monday, August 11, 2008

It's just so hard to pick...


what to blog about!
Sorry it's been a few days since my last update. I am starting to believe that teaching is truly a full time job. :) Seriously, the beginning of school is INSANE. Plus, I have my 3 little guys to feed, do homework with, read with, and oh yeah - have fun with. So things are a little bit crazy until we get back on schedule. All 3 boys are love love LOVING school. That is a blessing. Here's a funny little Keith story for you. On the first day of school, his teachers had the kids fill out job applications for classroom jobs. Keith decided that he wanted to be the tv monitor. When he came home Thursday night, he was so excited and could hardly wait to tell us about applying for the job. The applications were cute, they had to write their name and personal info. (address, phone, etc) They had to complete a references section. This consisted of his parents names and last year's teachers' names. Then he had to list the skills that he thought that he had that would enable him to do the job. Anyhoo, over supper, he told about his hope that he would get the job. (of tv monitor) He said, "Daddy, you know it's a real important job." Shawn said, "Yeah, I know." Keith said, "Cause nobody can watch the tv without the monitor. No morning announcements, no DVD's." We thought the application was the only deciding factor in naming the new tv monitor. We were wrong.
The next day, Keith's teachers conducted job interviews. These took place in front of the class. (public speaking skills - I told you, awesome teachers here) Keith had to sit in front of the room and state his name, personal information, and talk about his references. He then had to answer questions about what skills he felt that he had that would work in the position. (He told them that he was tall, so that would make it easy for him to reach the tv, he promised that he would always turn it on or off quickly so nobody would have to wait on him...HOW CUTE IS THIS KID) But here is the kicker. Lastly, they threw in a question that the applicants weren't prepared for just to see how they could think on their feet. They asked him something like this, "Keith, the TV monitor is a very important job. If you were to get the job, what are some behaviors that you think that the tv monitor would never have? What are some things that the TV monitor wouldn't do?" Here's why I just love my boy. His teachers said that he thought for a minute, tilted his head and touched his finger to his lips. Then, in all sincerity, he replied with this poignant answer. "Well, the tv monitor should never kick anybody in the privates." And with that heartfelt answer, my son got the job.
I tell you, they never cease to make me smile. I hope that all finds you well. And follow the TV monitor's advice. Don't go around kicking people in the privates.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ho, Ho, Oh my gosh Amy, That's the best Keith story yet! Keith, OMG, I miss you guys so much. That third grade team he has is awesome. That is such a good way to get acquainted with the class. Love It!

fiveoakes said...

funny stuff...kids are full of the most pertinent information if we will just listen. i would have hired him on the spot too. let me know how his first day on the job goes!!

Tricia said...

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh, that is the funniest thing ever! I will try to heed that advice but I can't make any promises. There are some days I really feel the urge....

Anyway, go read my blog from today. I had to give you a birthday shoutout. Just don't cry. ;-P Love you!

DaNella Auten said...

Too funny. I think that is good advice, however, I showed my bff your blog, and now she tells me she is tempted to call me a grass hole when she gets mad at me. lol

Tricia said...

My heart melted when I read this and thought of my sweet Kieth. I showed my sweet hubby Keith and said I want one like this. Tell him Ms. Arledge said hello. Melody

Kele said...

Love the story. What a cutie. You guys are such a sweet family!