Sunday, August 24, 2008

This is what I woke up to






I have a lot of relatives who are old pros when it comes to hurricanes. Uncle Gary & Aunt Connie along with Pat, Molly, Vince and Beth live in central Florida. Hurricanes are nothing new to them. It's just part of their lives. My brother Chris and his family live just outside of New Orleans. When Katrina came through, they all had to evacuate up here. I remember watching The Today Show with them on the next day when it showed the movie theater where they lived, or what was left of it. It was surreal. I never imagined that I would have a hurricane story from here in central Alabama. Now I do.

As all my Alabama pals know, we're in the middle of another drought. Yesterday (Saturday) was the first time we've seen rain in FOREVER. And we saw a pile of it. It rained and rained and rained...all day and night. This morning, Griffin was in the bed with me. (We'd already kicked Shawn the snorer out) I looked at the clock, it was 6:30. I remember thinking that I needed to get up soon and start ironing our clothes for church. I closed my eyes and then heard an incredible sound. I thought it was a car accident, right in front of the house. It was a long, loud crashing sound. I got up and looked out my window, and this is what I saw. One of our tall oak trees had just fallen. Right in front of my bedroom window. Well, about 30 feet in front of the window. I got Shawn and we stood there staring, we couldn't believe it. We figured that it was one of the dead trees that was struck by lightning earlier this summer. Wrong. On our way to church, we saw that it was actually uprooted. I now know that when there is a drought, the root systems of trees weakens. So, when the rain came like it did yesterday, it was too much for our old tree. And it fell. Thankfully it was far enough in the little wooded area in front where it didn't hit our house. It did, however fall on another tree, that is also weakened. If that tree falls, it will land right in the middle of our dining room. I've been wanting to redecorate it, but I'm not sure that a tree through the window is what I had in mind. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Kele said...

OMG, you are so funny! Well, if you have to redecorate your dining room, there is this blog called The cotton patch, she has some great decorating ideas! LOL!
Seriously though, I am sad for those poor trees (and your yard). I would give anything to have large lovely oaks like that in my front yard!

Tricia said...

AMI,
So sorry to read about your lovely oaks. I was in AZ during the rain on Saturday. Sam was telling me about it. I love the swimming pictures of the boys. I am so glad that oak didn't hit the house. Is Shawn cutting it down?

aims said...

OMIGOSH! Amy! I saw your link at Nadia's blog and I'm so glad that I clicked on it! I've always thought you should have a blog and your writing is just as addictive as I knew it would be. I set my timer (for a break) for 25 minutes. Now here I am in your blog. I tell ya, it's just not fair that I have to get back to work. I WILL be back and catch up with you guys!

I shut down my public blog and now after reading Nadia's and your's ... I find myself with that hunger to write again.

Love you bunches,

Mia