Sunday, August 31, 2008

Good news, bad news...


First, the good news.
ROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL TIDE!
What a great way to start the season! Am I ordering tickets for the National Championship game? No. Am I predicting a perfect season? Not hardly. But hey...considering the past few (6) years, I'll GLADLY take a reason to celebrate. RTR!
How do ya like my future Crimson Tide players? We are all sporting our John Parker Wilson jerseys. Daddy found out that the #8 Julio Jones jerseys are to hit stores in 2 weeks, so be on the lookout for those. I think Griffin's quote says it best, "Woe Tide WOE!" (gotta love that speech impediment)
My second mom Jane is embarking on a new venture. If you've never been to her house, you will just have to take my word for it, but she is truly gifted with the ability to decorate. She makes the most beautiful wreaths you have ever seen. So, she's putting her talents to use and she is selling wreaths. She has several out at different places in Pell City and they are going like hotcakes. She had me take an Alabama and an Auburn wreath to school to see if anyone would be interested. THEY WERE. I got an Alabama one, and it looks pretty fabulous on my front door. I'll post a pic shortly. (you can see K, Z, and G standing in front of it above) They are so fun for football season. Don't fret, tiger fans, there is an Auburn version. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I'm sure that Jane would be happy. If you are interested in her other BEE-YOU-TEA-FUL wreaths, I'll try to get some pics of them to post.
Now, the bad news. Gustav is heading straight for Wee-zee-ann-uh. For those of you that don't know, my brother and sis-in-law and nieces live there. They live in Covington, which is just across the Causeway (long, scary bridge) from New Orleans. They have been evacuated and are making their way here. It is normally a 5 hour drive. They left out this morning at 10:00. At 7:00 tonight, they had made it to Meridian, which is the 1/2 way point (normally a 2.5 hour drive) Please say a prayer for them, as well as Amy's (sis-in-law's) parents, brother, sister and her family, and Grandmother are all evacuated as well. With Katrina, they lost power for 3 weeks. My mom is expecting them to come tomorrow. It's bittersweet, bc we are happy to see them, just not under these circumstances. When it touches someone so close, it makes watching it on tv a whole different ballgame. This is their LIFE. It's not a day off of school or work, it's hoping that you'll have a home to go back to. It's deciding what to try and bring, what to move to the attic in hopes that the water doesn't rise that high, and what it's okay to risk leaving. It's making those crazy decisions over the course of 2 days. I can't even imagine. 2 days? I'd need at least 2 weeks to make lists of what to take, FIND IT ALL, pack it up, etc. 2 days? Could you do it?
By this time tomorrow, we'll know a lot more. Pray with me that lives are spared. Pray that the levees hold. Our Pastor had a wonderful point today. We serve a God that is bigger than this hurricane. I'm holding on to that thought. No matter what happens, God is in control.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I am praying for Chris and Amy and the girls. It has to be hard to pack up babies then drive so slowly towards safety.

Kele said...

Amy, I will be praying hard for your brother and family and hope you or momma post something about their safe arrival there! I can not imagine having to be in the car for that long, bless all of their hearts!